Why Should Your Author visit Dulwich Books?
Dulwich Books was voted the best independent bookshop in the UK & Ireland at the industry awards in May 2014. We were also voted London’s best Independent Bookshop in 2012, 2013 & 2014.
Based in West Dulwich on Croxted Road, we have been here for 31 years, serving the community, book lovers and local schools.
- We pride ourselves in being able to host events with everyone from the first time authors to the biggest names in literature.
- We have the in-house expertise and enthusiasm to create memorable and enjoyable events.
- We understand that an event isn’t just a case of getting bums on seats; it’s converting ticket sales into book sales. To achieve this we offer promotions and ticket + book bundles.
- We provide an audience separate to those who attend events in Central and North London.
- We’ll look after your author.
Recent Success Stories
include events with: Professor John Carey, Sarah Waters, Kate Adie, Ben Macintyre, Tom Rob Smith, Eimear McBride, Antony Beevor, Henry Marsh, Adam Rutherford, John Lanchester & David Mitchell, Eleanor Catton, Ruth Ozeki, Naomi Wood, Alan Johnson, and Sir Ranulph Fiennes.
Don’t Just Take Our Word for It….
Thank you so much for the very enjoyable event at Dulwich books yesterday night ! Really lovely, hugely interesting and of course perfectly organized… We are all very grateful for your co-operation, and hope it will bring Dulwich books and Evie more notoriety and many sales!
Francoise Dubruille EIBF Director March 2015
Charlotte Bush – Head of Publicity & Media Relations at PRH -said of our recent event with Sebastian Faulks: ‘Dear Sheila Well huge thanks to you – I heard all about it from both Jocasta and Sebastian and it sounds like it all went swimmingly – am glad the customer feedback has been just as positive. Terrific news on the book sales front. And thank you so much for being the most meticulous and wonderful event organiser I have encountered in my 20 years in the job. Charlotte’ September 2015
“‘My evening at Dulwich Books symbolises what a good independent bookshop should be. It’s a lively, engaging place where interesting dialogues about books that really matter can happen“ Edmund De Waal (author)
“Dulwich Books put on a great evening for me when I launched The Last Dance, my book of short stories set in Greece. I met lots of readers and we shared a superb Greek themed buffet together. It was unique!” Victoria Hislop (author)
“Fantastic news that you have been voted London’s Best Independent Bookshop again. What an amazing accolade. You absolutely deserve it. It is a wonderful shop with superb stock, staff and service”. Christie Hickman (Customer)
“Sheila and her husband really know how to do things with style and grace. I mean it too – no wonder you are such a success. So thoughtful and creative you are. What a terrific evening it was: so clever of you to see that Rachel and her book would be a hit“. Lennie Goodings (Publisher Virago)
How We Promote Events:
- Social Media: 7,500+ Twitter followers, Facebook & listed on our events page.
- Mailing List (1,200+ local subscribers via email).
- Hardcopy and digital local publications inc. Absolutely Dulwich, The Resident, Dulwich OnView, South London Press, SE21 magazine, Southwark News and many more.
- Local forums, such as West Dulwich Forum, East Dulwich Forum.
- Leaflet/poster distribution targeted at eateries, libraries, shops and community centres.
- High Impact in-store and window displays.
And more importantly….. talking to our customers
The key to a successful independent bookshop is being part of the local community; over the past 30 years we have worked hard to acheive this. As a result we have strong links to a number of venues in the Dulwich area of varying sizes and style:
- The Bedford in Balham with a variety of venue to meet all event needs.
- The Great Hall at Alleyns School 280 seats.
- Dulwich Picture Gallery: in association with the Friends of Dulwich Picture Gallery 90 seats
- All Saints Church Rosendale Road: 390 seats
- Michael Croft Theatre: 300 seats
- The Bookshop: 40 seats
- Literary Lunches in association with Belair House in Dulwich
South London is famous for its first class schools; over the last twelve months we have hosted many successful events including authors such as Michelle Paver, Sophie MacKenzie, Jonathan Meres, at the following schools:
- Dulwich College
- Alleyn’s School
- Dulwich Prep London
- Virgo Fidelis Prep School
- Rosendale School
- Rosemead School
- Forest Hill School
- James Allen’s Girls’s School (JAGS)
- Sydenham School
- Sedgehill School
- Oakfield Prep